Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My First Post (and a green smoothie recipe!)

Welcome to my food blog, Speaking of Food: Felicia's Delicias (pronounced so they sort of rhyme Full-ee-sha's Delicious). Thanks to my professional speaking colleague, Rich Hopkins of Speak and Deliver blog for his creativity with the name!

I'll be changing the look of the site until I get it how I want it, which could take a while! :-) I also have to fill in the details about who I am and what I'm about and all that other jazz. But basically here's the scoop:

I'm an Amazon best-selling author of a little niche book called 21 Ways to Make Money Speaking, as well as a professional speaker, speech trainer to CEOs, celebrities, and business owners, and communication strategist for solo entrepreneurs. That's my work and I love it!

At home, I'm Mom of two brilliant and beautiful daughters, ages 10 and 8, and wife to a seriously hot hubby who runs his own personal training business. Last fall I was diagnosed with a rare form of lung cancer, had it surgically removed by possibly the best thoracic surgeon in the Chicago area (if not in the world as far as I'm concerned!), and am officially healthy again taking exactly zero meds of any kind. Prayers from around the world were answered and I believe I experienced my own miracle. Halleluiah!

As a result of that whole horrible ordeal, 2013 is a new start for me and I've decided to play an even bigger game of life. I have big plans for my business that will turn it into an 8-figure international empire within 5-7 years, and I've decided I'm going full-force after some of my other passions: first of all FOOD!!

I've always eaten healthy (for the most part - I love me some kettle chips, don't judge) and because I've lusted after a VitaMix blender for years, I decided now is the time. So a few weeks ago I purchased a VitaMix Creations II blender and will add a series to this blog with the recipes I make in my VitaMix every day for a year.

Later this year I'm planning a cookbook (or two!), in addition to completing my third book related to business, Kill the Elevator Speech: Stop Selling, Start Connecting. 

I hope you'll come back and comment a lot and enjoy my recipes!

Here's the smoothie I made in my VitaMix this morning:

1/2 C pineapple juice (I'm out of fresh pineapple)
1/2 C Silk vanilla almond milk
1/2 C Shaklee Physique protein powder, banana flavored
1 banana, peeled (obviously)
1 handful fresh spinach leaves
1 Meyer lemon, peeled (not so obvious)
5 frozen strawberries
1 T hemp seeds

Add to VitaMix in the order shown, slowly increase the variable speed to 10, then to high. Blend for 30 seconds. Enjoy!

This one was very tasty; the Meyer lemon gave it a bright, fresh flavor I really liked.


10 comments:

  1. Felicia,
    So excited for you! A personal foodie/crafty/just me blog is on my bucket list and now I'm inspired to jump in. :D Thanks for sharing "you" with all of us! Can't wait until the next post ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! I'll be posting here a lot. And for a while it'll probably look different every time you come back! LOL Because this is my hobby and not my main business, I'm not going to use the services of a VA, but rather learn myself how to do all the little nitty gritty blog things.

      I hope you'll do yours, too. This took me no longer than 10 minutes to set up and that was only because I couldn't come up with a name that worked! When you do yours let me know so I can comment on your first too!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your new food blogger journey!!! But HEY!!! Where did you get the meyer lemon???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. Marie!
      I think more than anything this is gonna be FUN! Based on the feedback I got on Facebook looking for a name, I have a feeling I'll get lots of great comments!

      I got the lemons at the Walmart (of all places!). They had a bag of them right by the entrance. I know that's not your favorite store, so you wouldn't have seen them there.

      Thanks for commenting on my very first post! You rock!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new blog. The smoothie recipe sounds delicious and nutritious. If you get a chance stop by my blog and check out some of my family favorite recipes at Recipe for Life at http://deborah-bateman.blogspot.com I have been playing with it for a while and hope one day to publish my recipes into a book.
    Blessings,
    Deborah H. Bateman-Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting & commenting Deborah! I will be happy to check out your blog. I'm always looking for great recipes to try. Keep going with your posts and before long you'll have plenty for a book!!
      Felicia

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with your new blog Felicia. I'll be coming back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sharon and taking a moment to write. I'm going to have lots of fun with my new blog, so come back any time. I'll keep the party rolling for ya ;-)

      Delete
  5. Good for you for starting a blog on something you're passionate about, Felicia! I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say here, as delicious food is something I love to think and talk about too. :)

    I do hope you move this over to WP so you'll own it 100% and don't have to worry about it vanishing overnight (as has happened to quite a few people).

    Best of luck, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peg!
      I'll be working on getting everything on my own site. I just needed to get it UP and rolling!!!

      Stop by anytime to talk about food. Love it :-)

      Delete